Fragrances from the sea and the maquis enhanced by a generous warm sun bring about a feeling of weel-being in natural unspolit surroundings among oak trees, heathers, strawberry trees spreading their green hues to the shades of hues to the shades of a crystal clear sea water.
Farinole is a typically small village on the border line between the cap corse and the nebbiu, close to conca d'oru intergal part of the AOC country of Patrimonio, on the eastern shore of the gulf of Saint florent. FARINOLE lies from the shore right up to the mont San ghjacintu (1082 metres high).
Farinole is on the border line of olmeto di cap corso, san martino di lota and ville di pietrabugno, patrimonio.
Farinole is situatedbn 10 mn away from nonza, a high perched well known village, and 10 mn from Saint forent as well.
There are several hamlets nestling on the mountains slopes : U poghju, Bracculaccia, Sparagaghju an a marina on the sea shore with its genoese tower dating back from 1562.
In the south, its shipyard site 'u scalu vechju' remained open under Pascal Paoli.
A centre for shipbuilding had been developped in farinole. Half a galleon was built between january and march 1762.
Le felucone II Terrore seems to have been built by the end of 1762. In order to discourage any Genoese attempt, Pascal PAOLI will have had additionnal guns brought to the towwer of Farinole.Owing to bad weather spanish galleons which had been sheltering in the gulf of the nebbiu had sunken in mid-december 1555 at a few cable lengths, it seems that bullets can still be seen. THe legend suggest that 'la grotte du bandit' (the bandit's cave) was used as a hiding place for the recuperated treasur.
Its stores at the hamlet of the tower shows the evidene of the times when corn was sown and lemon trees were planted in the agriates. Women in their boats used to go over and harvest the corn by thrashing the plants against flat stones. They brought back the cereals over a bridge and an aquaduct. In november 1555, the genoese had even requisitionned the cereals for Bastia.
The name of our village was something to be debatted : did it originate from 'a farina' (flour) or from 'a ferrera'(iron mine).
A ferrera is the name of several localities : Olmeta di capo corso, rutali, muratu, who had exploited mines or established smith's workshops or foundies. In ancient scripts a reference is made to 'ferrera di farinole' and that the village existed before the exploitation of the mine and that the solicitors of the 15 th century wrote it as follows ; Farinole, Farinola or fARINGULE.
'A ferrera', the magnetic mine in farinole had been exploited as from 1550 by the genoese right up to the 17 th century. It has been dug by firing techniques. The rock was so compact that from 1623 black powder had to be used to extract the mineral and that was the first time such a processus was used in europe. The double entry remains with a very beautiful rocky pillar.
Th emine was taken over by the french in the 19th century and two more galries were dug out. This mine is a patrimonial heritage in arhceology and education. It is equally visited by students, tourists and specialists in geology who can admire an overwhelming panorama. Local people often go there too. It is accessible from the old fountain of bracculaccia. A colony of bats have chosen to reside there.
The convent mirianda, founded in 1606 and finished in 1750 has been financed by the villages of barbaggio, farinole and patrimonio. It is accessible on foot from the upper road D333 between Patrmonio and Farinole.
'Eglise', the church according to the parish inventory of the 5 november 1760 carried out by Antonino Antonetti, the local priest in the presence of Giovanni Monti procurator and Giobatta Gentili a parishioner, the church was built in 1720 on the foundations of an older church. Building was carried out until 1748. In 1753 the walls were whitewashed. On its frontispiece a marble ex-veto can be seen dated 1490 with the name of farinola which could provide a link with the former church.
Our patron Saint Côme and Damien are celebrated on 26th september : a mass and a procession formed by all the people from farinole and the neighbouring villages. The mass is sung'en paghjella by the congregation. After mass people gather round for a drink in the name of friendship.
Hiking departures :
- THE IRON MINE
- THE COUVENT
- ST LEONARDO
- VILLAGE MARINAS
-'A CASELLA' village restaurant
-'Lambada' on the beach 50 metres.
RANCH U TRAGULINU
Village site : www.commune-farinole.com